WEBINAR: 55th Annual Colonel Allyn D. Burke Memorial Dental Symposium
Saturday, June 27Virtual Event
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Dugoni School of Dentistry is now offering the 55th Annual Burke Dental Symposium as a live CE webinar through Cisco Webex. You can choose from two-day or one-day programming options - all from the comfort of your home.
Live, interactive CE webinars offered by the Dugoni School of Dentistry are considered as in-person, live courses by the Dental Board of California. However, this may vary for license renewal in other states.
Format: Webex - live, interactive virtual course
Two-Day Program (Friday AND Saturday)
Friday, June 26, 2020
Caries Management by Risk Assessment for All Ages
John D.B. Featherstone, MSc, PhD
Yasmi O. Crystal, DMD, MSc
This lecture will be presented in three sessions, each building on the other. You will receive the latest evidence-based information on caries risk assessment and caries management that will aid you in delivering optimal care for all patients in clinical practice. Drs. Featherstone and Crystal will present the latest methods and materials available for managing dental caries on patients of all ages, including the risks and benefits.
The presenters will also describe the tools to implement caries management by risk assessment in the dental office. Implementation in dental practice provides patients with genuine hope and success in the management of their oral health. It is a practice builder.
You Will Learn
- To understand the pathological and protective factors related to caries initiation, progression and prevention
- The type and availability of fluoride products and delivery systems, antibacterial therapy,
- dietary modification, silver diamine fluoride and minimally invasive restorative methods for caries control
- How to effectively assess the caries risk of patients
- The knowledge and skills necessary to manage dental caries, especially in high-risk individuals of all ages who keep returning for further restorative work
- How to put the knowledge gained in the course into practice the next day
How to conduct caries risk assessment for all ages and how to manage dental caries based upon the caries risk level
Saturday, June 27, 2020
Basics of TMD, Obstructive Sleep Apnea and their Connection
Cameron A. Kuehne, DMD, MS
This lecture is intended to give a basic overview of temporomandibular disorders and obstructive sleep apnea as they relate to the everyday general dental practice. Dr. Kuehne will discuss the commonalities between these two conditions. You will learn how to treat common TMD issues and how to properly screen and treat OSA patients.
You Will Learn
- To gain an understanding of how to quickly diagnose and treat common TMD issues
- along with understanding the anatomy as it relates to these issues
- The proper protocols for screening and treating OSA patients
- How to figure out if a patient has an underlying OSA condition causing bruxism and/or TMD issues
- How TMD and OSA are related
Current Trends in Pain Management, Medication Diversion and Substance Misuse
Michael O’Neil, PharmD
Dr. O’Neil will provide an overview of the origin of the opioid epidemic and the current status. He will discuss analgesic considerations in patients receiving opioid maintenance treatment, such as methadone and buprenorphine products, and patients receiving naltrexone. Optimal utilization of the CURES database will be discussed to optimize prescription medication diversion. Clinical considerations for patients self-medicating with CBD and THC products will also be covered.
You Will Learn
- The origin of the opioid epidemic -contributing factors and the current status
- How to optimize analgesia in patients receiving buprenorphine, methadone and naltrexone
- How to optimize utilization of the CURES database
- How to minimize analgesic and sedative risks in patient self-medicating with CBD and THC products
- How to better educate patients about opioids, CBD and THC
Tuition for Friday and Saturday: $495 Dentists; $295 Allied Dental Professionals
Credits: This activity is designated for 14 units of continuing education credit.
One-Day Program (Friday OR Saturday)
Tuition for Friday or Saturday ONLY: $295 Dentists; $195 Allied Dental Professionals
Credits: This activity is designated for 7 units of continuing education credit.
Past participants: We have extended the past participant discount deadline to June 15, 2020. Enter your discount code when registering online.
Alumni: Dues-paying members and associate members of the Alumni Association receive 15% off regular tuition for most CDE-sponsored programs and recent graduates (Classes of 2014-2019) receive a 20% discount off regular tuition. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your alumni discount code.